It’s hard to beat the Texas Hill Country when it comes to crafting a weekend full of outdoor exploration. Boerne has so much to offer. You could spend a full week exploring. Available opportunities include parks, trails, caves, rivers, lakes, marshes, creeks, woodlands and more. Discover the beauty that locals love on horseback, mountain bike, paddleboard, kayak, inner tube, or on foot. The choices are endless! Visit our Things to Do, Where to Shop, Where to Eat, and Where to Stay pages to find out how to make the most out of your dream getaway!
Check out a 3 day itinerary below.
Day 1: Guadalupe River State Park
• Start your day off right with a filling breakfast at Bear Moon Bakery. Their all you can eat breakfast buffet is always a good choice. If you prefer to grab your breakfast to go and hit the trail their jalapeño hog (it’s a serious pig in a blanket) is a great portable breakfast.
• Guadalupe River State Park is a day of fun for the whole family. It has everything from water play in the river, hiking and mountain biking trails, geocaching as well as a variety of ranger programs. Check out their website for a full schedule. We recommend that you prepare for your full day state park trip by packing a picnic lunch.
• Feel like relaxing in a tube while exploring the Guadalupe River? Check out Bergheim Campground & River Outfitters for rentals & shuttle service.
• Return from a full day of fun for dinner. The Texas Meat Co. is the new kid on the block for BBQ and they are doing it right! They have a casual outdoor patio dining as well as indoor seating.
Day 2: Lake Play and Some RANDOM Fun
• Grab breakfast at The Dienger Trading Co. Their coffee is fabulous and their breakfast plates are awesome!
• Head out to Boerne City Lake Park and rent some paddleboards. Get ready to make some great family memories while exploring the lake. Paddle boarding is easier than you may think, everyone should give it a try. Once you are off the water hit the trails or work in a round of disc golf on the 9-hole course. Grab some sandwiches or BBQ to go because you are going to want to pack a picnic lunch!
• Locals and visitors alike know where to go for an evening of fun in Boerne. Random Beer Garden is right next door to Boerne City Lake Park and has 80+ beers and ciders on tap. This family friendly gathering place hosts regular live music and a community spirit. There is even an in ground monster bounce for the kids. They will sleep well tonight!
Day 3: Cibolo Nature Center & Cave without a Name
• Breakfast at Little Gretel is not complete without one of their kolaches, however their pecan pancakes are great too.
• After breakfast, continue on down the road to spend your morning discovering the beauty of four distinct ecosystems at the Cibolo Nature Center. Dip your toes in the clear waters of the Cibolo Creek under the abundant shade of the Cypress-lined banks. Or stroll along the boardwalk over the marshlands. Tall grass prairies and forest trails make for great hikes. Workshops and education programs can also be arranged.
• It doesn’t have to be 5 o’clock to grab a pint. The Dodging Duck Brewhaus offers a variety of dining choices that can be enjoyed on their covered patio or in their charming restaurant. Brewery tours are available upon request.
• Next, beat the Texas heat by exploring down under at the Cave Without a Name. About 10 minutes outside of Boerne is one of the area’s best kept secrets—a natural living cavern—some say the most beautiful in Texas. The cave’s six rooms are filled with spectacular formations and are a soothing 66° year round. Round out your day by visiting a wine bar or listen to live music at one of the many establishments that frequently showcase local talent.
• After your afternoon underground, come back into town for an evening of fun at Soda Pops Patio Bar & Grill; where there are regularly scheduled Hot Rod Nights. Not hotrods this trip? They are located right across the street from Main Plaza where there is always an event of some sort happening. Check our calendar of events to plan accordingly.