Boerne History

History--Hill-Country-MileA Need For Expansion:

Long before the beloved Hill Country Mile, the scenic Cibolo Nature Center, and the display of charming, historic buildings existed, Boerne was an undeveloped territory populated by potentially-threatening Native-American Indians. In 1840, a Bexar County surveyor, named John James, ventured north of San Antonio into the Texas Hill Country and found what would eventually become the city of Boerne. This land was aesthetically beautiful, had a much cooler climate than the hot and flat San Antonio, and provided an abundance of water flowing through the Cibolo Creek.

New Beginnings:

John James teamed up with a man named Gustav Theissen, and together they platted Boerne in 1852. They named the town “Boerne” after a German author and publicist, Karl Ludwig Börne, who had written much about the promising new territory. He died in 1837, never having stepped foot on American soil. Boerne was platted in the part of the Texas Hill Country that would eventually be known as Kendall County, named after George Wilkins Kendall.

With the hope of new economic opportunities and freedoms, a German-based organization, known as the Adelsverein, eventually caught wind of this territory and initiated mass-immigration. By the thousands, German and Prussian immigrants were finding their way to Texas, and hundreds of them quickly made their homes in Hill Country towns – including New Braunfels and Fredericksburg. The raw land in Boerne was purchased, made into individual lots, and put up for sale before there were any settlers.

Growth in Boerne:

The initial growth in Boerne was slow, but it became known for being a retreat with its health restorative properties and beautiful scenery. It was also in close proximity to an established Native-American trade route known as the Camino Veijo Trail. This route ran adjacently to Boerne, making it easy to access, and therefore improving Boerne’s exposure and status.

Early Boerne settlers created mud huts and shacks for themselves once their land was purchased, working their holdings and obtaining basic needs before ever thinking of constructing pretty rock buildings. By 1858, there were 10 wooden cabins in Boerne, and the Ye Kendall Inn was built just a year after that. In 1862, Boerne became the county seat of the newly formed Kendall County.

By 1870, Boerne had 250 citizens, and the Native-American presence in Kendall County was no longer a threat. This decade brought a new wave of British immigrants to the Texas Hill Country. Railroads were among one of the major promoters of Boerne, appealing to laborers and those seeking new economic opportunities, although it did not physically stop here until 1887.

By the turn of the century, Boerne had 800 citizens and was booming.  It continued to grow with the introduction of electricity and automobiles. The years between the World Wars, however, were hard on Boerne.  It wasn’t until the 1960’s that economic growth began in earnest once again, and it has since continued into the present day Boerne. 

Fun Facts:

  • The seeds of the first small settlement in future Kendall County were planted in 1847 when Nicholas Zink put down roots on the Guadalupe River 13 miles north of the location of present-day Boerne. This was five years before the town of Boerne was platted.
  • Not long before Boerne was platted, another small settlement was located to the northwest and adjacent to the future Boerne. Local traditions state that it was named Tusculum. However there are no conclusive facts to support the name.
  • In 1894, a book was written by San Antonio's Paul Adolph Weber and published in German. This book actually compared the customs of Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff to the habits of Roman nobility who traveled in the heat of the summer to a hilly Italian region named Tusculum. Beginning in the 1850's, Dr. Herff would leave San Antonio and also travel in the heat to the hills of Boerne where he would spend the summers and give medical care to the community.

Download a FREE Historic Walking Tour

Other Historic Attractions